Looking for the perfect space to conduct user or market research?
Our user research studio in Edinburgh has been designed to ensure your participants are as relaxed and comfortable as possible.
Rather than building a lab, we’ve developed an open plan office that allows facilitators and observers to get the most out of their research sessions. We don’t use 1-way mirrors or intimidating equipment. Instead we have a flexible space that ensures:
- Participants are comfortable throughout the process; from walking through the door, to leaving the building.
- Moderators can rapidly adapt the space to suit their preferences and requirements.
- Observers get to see, listen and learn how people think, feel and do first-hand.
Max. Concurrent participants
Our research studio is set-up so that you and your team can conduct and transparently observe a wide range of research activities. These include:
- User testing
- User research
- Mobile, Tablet & Desktop testing
- TV/Living Room testing
- Usability testing
- 1:1 or Group interviews
- Focus groups
- Collaborative design sessions.
Spread over 1,300 square feet our open plan office has been split into 6 distinct areas:
- Entrance and reception area
- Kitchen & toilet facilities
- Enclosed meeting room (for up to 4 participants or observers)
- Open welcome area/meeting space (for up to 4 participants or observers)
- Open workshop space (for up to 12 participants)
- Fixed desk area (up to 9 desks available for observers).
As the office is open plan this standard layout can be adapted to accommodate larger groups (up to 30 concurrent participants) in a theatre style layout.
It’s the small, and not so small, things that count:
- One hour’s preparation time before participants arrive
- Spare devices, adaptors and cables
- Secure Wi-Fi and ethernet connections
- Digital audio/video recording and streaming, inc. picture-in-picture recording
- Dedicated VoIP number
- 2x Large 4k SMART TVs
- 6x Large whiteboards & flip charts
- Pens, post-it notes, cards and notepads
- Printing and photocopying facilities.
Contact us for a copy of our equipment and facilities list.
Moderators & Facilitators: if you need an extra pair of hands or want someone to facilitate the session on your behalf, our team of experienced user researchers are on hand to help.
Participant recruitment: we can help you source, screen and manage the participants you need to achieve your objectives.
Catering: teas, coffees and snacks are provided as standard. Want lunch, dinner or something more substantial – no problem – we’re happy to arrange additional catering for you and your clients.
Concierge service: it all starts with a welcoming welcome. Our team are a friendly bunch and we’d be happy to help you; greet participants, get NDAs and clearance forms signed or help out with last-minute printing, taxi bookings or any other administrative tasks you and your team need a hand with.
Transcription & documentation: over the years we’ve documented and transcribed the outputs from countless interviews, workshops and sprints. Simply let us know what outputs you want, and we’ll make sure you get the documentation you need.
8:30 AM – 5:30 PM
4 hours: £500
8 hours: £800
5:30 PM – 10:00 PM
Monday – Thursday: £650
Friday – Sunday: n/a.
8:30 AM – 5:30 PM
4 hours: £600
8 hours: £900
- All prices exclude VAT.
- Optional extras will incur an additional fee.
Need an estimate or proposal? Contact us on 0131 467 9227 to discuss your specific requirements.
Our research studio is based on the Shore in Leith.
Our address is:
Suite 4, Waterside House
Based in the heart of Leith, our research studio is within walking distance of some of the best coffee shops, bars, eateries and restaurants in Scotland. Check out our list of recommended things to do in Leith.
Plane: the nearest airport is Edinburgh Airport.
Train: the nearest train station is Edinburgh Waverley.
Car: free on-street parking is available within a 5-minute walk of the office. We also have a limited number of on-site parking spaces available.
Bus: bus stops for the number 16 and 22 are within 2 minutes of the office and can be located via Google Maps or the Lothian Buses website or Plan a Journey Travel app. Journey times to or from the City Centre should take no longer than 15-20 minutes.
Taxi: journey times to or from the City Centre should take no longer than 5-15 minutes and cost between £8.00 and £15.00, depending on the time of day.
Walking: to or from the City Centre will take around 45 minutes.
Learn more about our research studio
Schedule a time to visit or give us a call to discuss things further.
Frequently asked questions
What are your cancellation terms?
If you cancel within 7 working days of a confirmed booking date, we will refund 50% of the studio fee. If you postpone within 7 working days, we will apply a £100 administration fee and reschedule your booking, subject to availability.
If you cancel or postpone 8+ working days prior to the confirmed booking date, we will refund 100% of the studio fee or reschedule the date subject to availability.
Should we need to cancel:
- We will contact you to discuss the situation as soon as these issues come to our attention.
- We will always provide you with the most notice possible.
- We accept no liability due to disruptions or delays caused by factors out with our control, such as major utility failures, weather conditions, transport issues, acts of terrorism, etc.
- The maximum refund and liability will not exceed the value of the applicable studio hire fee.
Please contact us to get a copy of our terms and conditions.
We are following the Scottish Government’s guidance on working safely during coronavirus. This includes:
- Wearing face masks in the communal areas
- Providing hand washing facilities for all staff and guests
- Having a well ventilated workspace
- Increased cleaning in the office
- Conducting regular risk assessments
- Adhering the Test & Protect procedures.
As the guidance is regularly reviewed and altered, our internal procedures will also change so that we are continuously aligned with the current guidance. For more information about how we are providing a safe and secure workplace contact us.
Do you have a floor plan, equipment and facilities lists?
Yes, please contact us to get a copy of our:
- Equipment & Facilities list
- Floor plan
Can you recruit participants on my behalf?
Yes, please refer to our participant recruitment and screening service or contact us to discuss your specific requirements.
Can you moderate or facilitate sessions on my behalf?
Yes, our team of user researchers have extensive experience of facilitating and moderating a broad range of research techniques and sessions. Contact us to discuss your specific requirements.
How does on-site observation work?
Rather than using 1-way mirrors or separate rooms, we adopt a transparent approach to research and testing.
We let participants know that they’re being invited in to an open plan environment and not everyone who’s there will be directly involved in the session. This means your observers can sit wherever they want and still observe the research, in a non-intrusive manner, whilst it’s being conducted.
How does remote observation work?
Sessions can be recorded and live streamed if required. Contact us to discuss the pro’s and con’s of real-time remote observation.
Want to book our research studio?
Contact us to discuss dates and requirements.
Other facilities we provide:
Our open plan office is the perfect venue for a broad range of workshops.
Sprints & Events
Access the perfect space to facilitate a design sprint or collaborative design process.